Biology: Science for Life with mybiology: International Edition, 3rd Edition
©2010 |Pearson |
Colleen Belk, University of Minnesota, Duluth
Virginia Borden Maier, St. John Fisher College
©2010 |Pearson |
The Third Edition of Biology: Science for Life continues to draw students into biology through engaging stories that make difficult topics more accessible and understandable.
Colleen Belk and Virginia Borden strive to make teaching and learning biology a better experience from both sides of the desk. The authors draw from their teaching experiences to create a text with a flowing narrative and innovative features that require students to become more active participants in their learning. Each chapter presents the material through a story that draws from real life examples, making the reading more engaging and accessible to today’s students. These stories strive to demystify topics found in biology.
The Third Edition of this book features a completely re-designed art program and uses the authors’ teaching experiences to create student-centered features such as the new Savvy Reader, Visualize This, and Stop and Stretch to motivate and encourage student learning. The new A Closer Look allows instructors the opportunity to expand on certain important biological topics.
For instructors who would like to cover Animal Structure and Function and Plant Biology, an alternate edition of this book, Biology: Science for Life with Physiology, is also available.
“Do your students complain that they can’t understand what they read in most biology textbooks?”
“Does your text create active participants in the learning process?”
followed by questions to help students interpret and evaluate scientific information and data found in everyday media.
1. Can Science Cure the Common Cold? Introduction to the Scientific Method
I. CHEMISTRY AND CELLS
2. Are We Alone in the Universe? Water, Biochemistry, and Cells
3. Diet. Cells and Metabolism
4. Life in the Greenhouse: Photosynthesis Cellular Respiration, and Global Warming
5. Cancer: DNA Synthesis, Mitosis, and Meiosis
6. Are You Only as Smart as Your Genes? Mendelian and Quantitative Genetics
7. DNA Detective: Complex Patterns of Inheritance and DNA Fingerprinting
8. Gene Expression, Mutation and Cloning: Genetically Modified Organisms
9. Genetically Modified Organisms: Gene Expression, Mutation, and Cloning
10. An Evolving Enemy: Natural Selection
11. Who Am I? Species and Races
12. Prospecting for Biological Gold: Biodiversity and Classification
13. Is the Human Population Too Large? Population Ecology
14. Conserving Biodiversity: Community and Ecosystem Ecology
15. Where Do You Live? Climate and Biomes
Laboratory Manual for Biology: Science for Life
Belk & Maier
Pearson offers special pricing when you package your text with other student resources. If you're interested in creating a cost-saving package for your students, contact your Pearson rep.
Colleen Belk and Virginia Borden Maier have been colleagues and collaborators for more than thirteen years. Both authors have adopted teaching styles at their respective universities, the University of Minnesota Duluth and St. John Fisher College, that capitalize on students’ natural curiosity about high-interest topics such as dieting, global warming, and organ donation to effectively teach fundamental course topics such as cell biology, photosynthesis, and physiology. Their classroom experience has informed every chapter to help students understand biological principles, develop critical thinking skills, apply biology to their own lives, and make the introductory course more enjoyable from both sides of the desk.
In addition to Biology: Science for Life, Colleen and Virginia are co-authors of Biology: Science for Life Laboratory Manual and Human Biology.
We're sorry! We don't recognize your username or password. Please try again.
The work is protected by local and international copyright laws and is provided solely for the use of instructors in teaching their courses and assessing student learning.
You have successfully signed out and will be required to sign back in should you need to download more resources.