Which type of fatty acids only contain Carbon-Carbon single bonds?
c) Trans fats.
A triglyceride is a form of _______ composed of ___________.
a) Lipid ; fatty acids & Glucose.
b) Lipid ; Fatty acids & Glycerol.
c) Carbohydrate ; Fatty acids only.
d) Lipid ; Ribose.
How do phospholipids interact with water molecules?
a) The polar heads avoid water; the nonpolar tails attract water (because water is polar and opposites attract).
b) Phospholipids do not interact with water because water is polar and lipids are nonpolar.
c) The polar heads interact with water; the nonpolar tails do not.
d) Phospholipids dissolve in water.
Steroids & Waxes
The molecule shown the figure is a ________.
a) Fatty acid.
Choose the correct statement about biological waxes:
a) They contain at least one steroid molecule.
b) They are fatty acids bound to long chain alcohol molecules.
c) They are extremely hydrophilic.
d) They are made of 4 fused carbon ring molecules.
- How do the phospholipids in archaea differ from those in other cells? a. They have tails made of unsaturated f...
- Macronutrients . a. include carbohydrates and vitamins; b. should make up a small percentage...
- Which of the following is true of unsaturated fats? a. They are more common in animals than in plants. b. They...
- What makes a fatty acid an acid? a. It does not dissolve in water. b. It is capable of bonding with other mole...
- Cooking oil lipids consist of long, unsaturated hydrocarbon chains. Would you expect these molecules to form m...
- Which of the following terms is least like the others? a. monosaccharide; b. phospholipid; c. fat; d. steroid;...
- The main constituents of the plasma membrane are . a. carbohydrates and lipids; b. proteins ...
- Unsaturated fats a. have double bonds in their fatty acid chains. b. have fewer fatty acid molecules per fat m...
- Which of the following substances is a major component of the cell membrane of a fungus? a. cellulose b. chiti...
- A fat molecule consists of . a. carbohydrates and proteins; b. complex carbohydrates only; c...
- Another aspect of the Nurses' Health Study looked at the percentage of change in the risk of coronary heart di...
- Compare and contrast the structures of phospholipids and triglycerides.
- Mark the following statements as true or false. If a statement is false, correct it to make a true statement.c...
- Considering that water is a main component of the juices in the stomach and intestines, explain why digestion ...
- Explain why monosaccharides are polar and fatty acids are nonpolar even though they both contain the same atom...