Ethers are one of the few functional groups that are more often named with common names vs. IUPAC names. Regardless, we’ll learn how to use both naming systems.
List both alkyl groups in alphabetical order and follow with the word ether.
How to name ethers using the common naming system.
Give the longest carbon chain the root name, then name the smaller chain as an alkoxy substituent.
How to name ethers using the IUPAC naming system.
Provide the correct common name of the following ether.
Provide the correct IUPAC name of the following ether.
- What is each compound's systematic name? d. CH3CH2CH2OCH2CH3
- Draw a condensed structure and a skeletal structure for each of the following: i. 3-ethoxy-2-methylhexane
- Draw a condensed structure and a skeletal structure for each of the following: a. sec-butyl tert-butyl ether
- Name the following compounds: a. CH3OCH2CH3 b. CH3OCH2CH2CH3
- Would you expect the reactivity of a five-membered ring ether such as tetrahydrofuran [TABLE 10.2] to be more ...
- In the presence of 18-crown-6, potassium permanganate dissolves in benzene to give 'purple benzene,' a useful...
- (A true story.) An inexperienced graduate student moved into a laboratory and began work. He needed some dieth...
- Give common names for the following compounds. (a) (CH3)2CHOCH(CH3)CH2CH3 (b) (CH3)3COCH2CH(CH3)2 (c) PhOCH2CH...
- Give a common name (when possible) and a systematic name for each compound. (a) CH3OCH=CH2 (b) CH3CH2OCH(CH3)...
- Write structural formulas for the following compounds. (d) divinyl ether (e) allyl methyl ether (f) cyclohexen...
- Give a common name (when possible) and a systematic name for each compound. (d) (e) (f)
- Name the following: f.
- Name the following: e.
- (c) What are their common names?
- (a) What is each ether's systematic name? 6.
- (a) What is each ether's systematic name? 5.